Sunday, August 14, 2011
Wash Day Wonders
Does it seem like laundry is a never-ending chore? Well, I have some tips to make your washday woes disappear!
1. When washing a brightly colored item for the first time, add a teaspoon of Epsom salts to the water to keep the material from fading or running.
2. No epsom salts? Soak brightly colored clothes in cold salt water before washing them, it will help set the colors and keep them brighter.
3. When you're washing whites and you run out of bleach, add three tablespoons of peroxide in its place.
4. Peroxide will also remove blood stains on white clothing. Just use a cotton swab to dab some on the stain, wait for it to fizz up and then launder it as you usually do. The stains will disappear.
5. Accidentally wash a wool sweater or blanket? No problem. Soak it in lukewarm water and hair conditioner. A tablespoon of hair conditioner per gallon will loosen those fibers so you can reshape the item.
6. Washing shower curtains or vinyl tablecloths? Add a cup of white vinegar to the wash cycle will keep the plastic pliable and lasting longer.