Monday, March 11, 2013

Easy Energy Savers


If you’re looking to save money on your heating and cooling costs,   I have some simple solutions that will take less than a day to do and you can watch the savings add up!

Add weather stripping to doors and windows to eliminate the airflow through the gaps between the door and its framing. 

Also add door sweeps on all of your doors.  Check out this really handy peel and stick sweep I found, no need for tools at all!

Look for areas where there may be gaps ort cracks, especially around pipes.  Fill these areas with some steel wool and d then expanding foam insulation. 

This is a twofold solution, critters cannot chew through the steel wool and the foam will expand to fill the entire area and seal off the gap.

Add Insulation!  I have open rim joists in my basement.  The rim joist is the area above your foundation and under the floor framing.

Simply measure the area that you want to fill and cut a piece off with a straightedge and a sharp utility knife.  Then place it in the space. Don’t shove it in because you want to maintain some airflow.  

Make sure that you wear the proper safety gear when working on these projects! 

It cost me under fifty dollars and less than one day, and I know I’ll feel those savings!  I’m Mrs. Fixit and it’s just that simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment