Friday, March 25, 2011
Spring Cleaning Time: Curtains & Draperies
Spring cleaning: it can sound overwhelming, but as far as the curtains and draperies go, it doesn't have to be that bad. I have some easy tips.
1. The biggest problem with curtains is dust. Use the soft brush attachment on your vacuum and work from top to bottom to carefully remove the dust.
2. If you feel like your curtains need some freshening, take them down from the window. Toss them in the dryer with a dryer sheet, and a tennis ball. Then turn it on air for twenty minutes. It will dust and freshen in one quick step.
3. When you pull the curtains out of the dryer, hang them immediately. This way you won't have to worry about pressing them either.
4. If you don't feel like ironing new cotton curtains, hang them up and spritz them with some water. The weight from the water will smooth the fabric as it dries.
5. Now, if you're just looking for an update for your curtains this spring, try changing the tie backs. Forget the matching fabric, and try some cording, tassels or some nice ribbon. To update plain cotton curtains, attach some ribbon near the hem with some iron fusible tape!