Friday, October 21, 2011
Trick or treat! The trick is to follow a few simple ideas. The treat? A frightfully perfect pumpkin every time!
1. Looking for a super spooky jack-o-lantern? A few simple tools will make short work of it, an awl, an ice cream scoop, a melon baller, a drywall saw and of course a serrated knife!
2. Put down several layers of newspaper to protect your work surface, a table is a great choice because it's easier to scoop from above the pumpkin.
3. A drywall saw is a great tool for the rough cuts -like around the stem. It's pointed tip and heavy-duty teeth cut easily through that tough pumpkin shell. Just be careful when working with knives and saws.
4. Use an ice cream scoop to clean out the guts; it's designed to scoop through hard substance!
5. Use the awl to make starter holes so you end up with nice clean lines and corners.
6. A melon baller can help you with the final detailing.
7. Smear some petroleum jelly over the exposed pumpkin flesh, to help preserve it.
8. While you've got that petroleum jelly out, put a birthday candle in there and stick it in the pumpkin, the candle will burn safely for hours!