Sunday, September 18, 2011
Cushy, Comfy Carpets
If you like cushy, comfy carpets and you want to keep them that way for years to come, I have some easy ways to do just that!
1. One of the easiest ways to keep your carpets looking great is to vacuum often. Use slow overlapping strokes to ensure you're getting the deep down dirt. Be sure that your vacuum is equipped with a beater bar, which will move the carpet pile and loosen dirt.
2. If your carpet isn't smelling as fresh as it should and you don't have any fancy deodorizers, sprinkle some baking soda over it. Allow it to sit for an hour or so and then vacuum it up! This will also brighten your carpet!
3. Spots and spills are inevitable with any carpet; the key is to clean them up quickly. A great all-purpose carpet cleaner is white shaving cream.
4. Here are a few things to keep in mind, always use white cloths so you don't transfer dyes to the carpet, use cool water so you don't set the stain with heat and always blot, never scrub a carpet stain, it will just get more imbedded in the carpeting!
5. Another common carpet problem is static. To combat it, run a vaporizer at night; you know the one you use when the kids are sick. You could also invest in a humidifier that runs all of the time.