Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Care of Bedding
From the mattress to the pillows, bedding can be an investment, so you want to take care of it the best way to make it last longer.
1. When you change your bedding, vacuum it thoroughly to remove dust.
2. Buy a good mattress pad. It fits on snugly like a sheet and protects the mattress from excess dust and oils from your skin.
3. Protect your pillows with zip-on covers. This way you can just unzip and throw the cover in the wash, instead of washing the whole pillow.
4. When you wash your blankets, use the delicate cycle, to help prevent matting.
5. Bedspreads are generally too big to wash at home. Check the care label for instructions, then either take it to the laundromat or the dry cleaners.
6. If you're not sure, you should test for colorfastness before you wash it. Mix a little water with some soap and dip the corner of the bedspread into it. If the fabric dyes start to bleed, you may want to go with dry-cleaning.
7. To fluff and freshen A down comforter, pillows or a bedspread, put them in the dryer with a clean pair of sneakers and some dryer sheets.