Monday, April 18, 2011
Silver is a beautiful accent in your home or on your table but it takes some care, I have some pointers to keep it looking its best.
1. The first key to keeping silver looking it's best is to protect it from tarnishing, the easiest way to do that is to use yours and enjoy it. Silver that is left out and enjoyed doesn't tarnish as quickly as if it is stored away.
2. Silver has enemies that can damage it and speed up the tarnishing process. Food items to avoid, mustard, mayonnaise, eggs and onions. These items have a lot of sulfur in them which can damage the silver.
3. Other enemies include rubber bands, felt, wood, wool, newspaper and humidity. So if you do need to store your silver, avoid those items and opt to keep it wrapped in an acid free tissue paper or treated bag and keep the area dry.
4. Now, I always get questions about cleaning silver. Simply wash it with warm soapy water and dry it with a nice soft dish towel.
5. And remember after washing it, don't lay the silver on a rubber mat or in a rubber dish drainer, both will jump start the tarnishing process!
6. Some easy ways to keep your silver looking it's best.