Monday, November 21, 2011
Oversized Ironing Board
If you've ever tried to iron a large tablecloth on a standard ironing board you know it can be anything but simple! Well I have an easy project to make an oversized ironing board that you can use any time you need it.
1. Your first step is to get a piece of MDF or plywood that is large enough to create an even sized ironing surface. I made mine 2 x 2 ½ feet.
2. Wrap the board in some heavy-duty aluminum foil to protect both the board and reflect the heat!
3. Next get one large or two small heavy wool blankets. Your goal is to have two thick nesses of blankets covering your entire board. Your local thrift or surplus store is a great place to find these blankets very inexpensively.
4. Smooth the two layers over the board and then use a staple gun to secure them to the underside.
5. The next step is to cover the blanket layer with a double layer of heavyweight canvas that is slightly larger when wrapped than the blanket layer so you can hit the board with staples. (If you try to secure all four layers the staples may not be able to grip the board).